Monday, November 3, 2008

Thank You Sesame Street

I love Sesame Street! Sometimes it is SO funny! Like the episode about keeping lead out of your body and during it Oscar says,"what do you think you are, the 'lead police'" and then The Police (muppets) pop up and start singing... funny!

Anyway, it also sends really good messages sometimes. There is one episode that the Bub loves because of the really cool music called The Get Healthy Now Show. He watchs it all the time and I don't always hear what is said, but the other day I heard the message.

There is one game called The Sometimes/Anytime Food game. They spin a wheel and then have to guess if the food that it lands on is a "sometimes food" or an "anytime food." I don't have to tell you that, for me, their "sometimes food" is an ALL the time food!! (Like cookies for breakfast??) Anyway, it got me thinking.

Then at the end "The Big Tomato" comes out and sings his song. Before the song he gives a little speech and says, "Take care of yourself! Your the only you you've got!" Then he tells everyone to get up and move to get healthy. When I saw it I thought, "You're right Mr. Big Tomato! I'm the only me I've got!!" I almost started crying. Give me a break!!!! But seriously... it is so true!

The reality of it is that the Bub doesn't need help moving... usually we are trying to get him to stop moving! But why? I don't want to discourage something that is good for him (unless it involves throwing things in the middle of church:-)). So the next time he is running around like a mad man, instead of thinking, "I am so tired! I wish he would just settle down!" maybe I should get up and move with him... it will do me some good! And maybe I should enforce our strict sweets policy (the Bub only ever gets sweets once in a blue moon) on myself!! We do it for him because it is good for him... I bet it would be good for me too!!! What a revelation:-)!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that too; your the only you you've got! that's brilliant. We had this lesson in ym the other week about loving yourself and this would have been so sweet to put on paper for them. Next time.

Bowdens said...

We haven't watched Sesame Street in so long, but I have seen that episode! They really are creative and it does have a good message. I just love all of the celebraties they get to come on the show!