Monday, October 27, 2008

Motherhood

This post is dedicated to all you moms who are way too hard on yourselves.


In our church we do what we call visiting teaching. This is where all of the women are assigned a partner and you both are assigned 2 or 3 other women to visit once a month together. This program is wonderful. It is so nice to have someone come visit you, bring a spiritual message, make sure you are doing alright, and help you out when you need it. Like this past spring when my visiting teacher saw we were in need of a car and let us borrow a truck she wasn't using very often. We were so grateful for her help and that she was looking out for us.

Story: This summer I bought a double stroller and we walked everywhere so my husband could take the car to work. Summers here are gorgeous so it was always nice to get a good walk in.

So, in August I think, I was meeting my partner to visit teach. I got the stroller all ready and the kids all ready (which always takes longer than anticipated) and after far too long we were finally on our way to the first appointment.

(I have never been a punctual person, in fact I have always been late EVERYWHERE. Needless to say punctuality is something I have worked on my entire life of almost 29 years).

So, we were late... again. I was walking as fast as I could, and as I was, I was thinking, "Man! Why do I have to be late all the time?! Why can't I just leave when I need to?!?!" etc, etc.

At the time my little girl was about two months old and we were all still getting used to having another little baby around. As I was scolding myself for my tardiness, I had the distinct impression of how proud my Heavenly Father was of me for trying to raise these two little kids. I was reminded once again of what is most important out of all the things required of me.

Sure, visiting teaching is extremely important in our church. It is how the Lord takes care of all his daughters and cares for their individual needs. BUT... first and foremost I am a mother and my responsibility to care for and raise these children who have been entrusted to me is the most important.

Now that is not to say that because I am a busy mom I don't need to go visiting teaching, because I do. But... maybe it is not as perfect as I would like. Maybe I forget to bring the lesson and even to read the lesson I am supposed to share (as I did at our last visit:-)). All I can do is my best that I can do and just keep trying. And with practice it will all get better, as everything does... as even motherhood does.

2 comments:

Bowdens said...

Hi Kim! Wow...this blogging thing is amazing. How are you? Where do you live now? It was great to hear from you.

Unknown said...

I love this too. It's a good thing for us moms to learn. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love reading them.