Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Grocery Store

I went to the grocery store today for the first time with both my kids. While in the store everything went pretty well. I had The Bub (2 year old) in the seat and, since I forgot the front carrier, I left The Girl in her car seat and put it in the basket-there wasn't a whole lot of room for the groceries... which was probably a good thing;).

There was a little crying and squealing, but nothing bad... until we got to the check-out. There was a girl in front of us with a little boy-probably about 3 years old-who was crying. After she left and it was our turn, The Bub decided it was his turn.

If you know him, you know that he has a VERY piercing scream, and I mean scream. It almost hits an octave we has humans can't even hear... almost. So, he decided to scream... just to scream. And when he found it even echoed in there-that was even better! The first one caught everyone off guard and the entire front of the store turned to look in horror. I thought, "Man that was loud! I bet the entire store heard that!"

Now if this had been the first time this had happened I might have been embarrassed, but he has been doing this for a while now, screaming in public.

After 3 or so screams I found his nuk (binkie) and shoved it in his mouth. Although he is old enough to be rid of it, he is still very attached to it and it comes in handy sometimes:)-we'll deal with that when he starts talking more and screaming less....

Anyway, the lady at the check-out was glaring at him, so I smiled and said, "You've got all the rotten kids today, don't you?"

She commented on his screaming-as everyone does, as if I didn't notice it-and how she is not sure where kids learn it, but it sure gets attention, or something like that.

As we left the store I couldn't help but remember when we were first married living in Idaho. There was a little girl-about 18 mo old-who would sit in front of us at church. She too had the screaming technique down and I would look at her just horrified and think, "Oh my gosh! I hope my kids NEVER do that to me!!" Funny... I think The Bub might be even worse than she was:).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow kim, every mom is thanking you for sharing this story because it lets us know that our children are normal and just yesterday I had to go grocery shopping with Annabelle,now 18 months, who is a sweet angel. But there is some point between the sidewalk and the store enterence that triggers the little, or should I say big, monster in her and from there on I'm just in survival mode 'til we get home. Ugg, grocery shopping is something I never look forward to.

Caren said...

I will testify to the scream! Yes, he is strong! Years ago we had friends who had twins. When they were babies and she shopped and both started crying, she knew which one she had to pick up because he screamed the loudest. So, you could be dealing with that!

Lauri said...

Ohhhh, I feel for you! Although Jocelyn has hardly ever thrown a fit at the store, she did a few months ago b/c I was in a hurry and didn't want to use one of those HUGE car carts!!! She was SO mad! I actually just left the store!
I'm excited to have another one of your blogs to read!!! :)