Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hello... MOM!!

Have you ever looked in the mirror and realized how much you look like your mother? Sometimes when I see pictures of myself I think, "That is Mom's smile!" Or when I see pictures of my mom I think, "I stand that way too!" My mother would tell you when I talk it sounds like something my Dad would say, which is sometimes true- even my husband has said that. I have had people tell me my voice sounds like my Mom, especially when I laugh, which I will just have to take their word for it because I can't tell. I can see both my Mom and Dad in me... isn't it amazing?!?! We really are the product of two people... and then a little spice of ourselves:-). But, there is one thing that I know I inherited from my Mom and NOT my Dad, and that is my knack for thinking up the worst possible scenario and worrying about it.

Story: This summer we took a road trip to San Diego. We had a 2 year old and a 5 week old so we made a lot of stops, to say the least. Many times we would just need an emergency diaper change and would pull off at the next exit, which was usually just in the middle of the dessert, nothing in site for miles. So... the middle of the HOT, DRY DESERT.

After one of these stops in the middle of the afternoon I said, "Boy, I'm sure glad I didn't get bitten by a rattle snake just now!!" Ok, that sounds ridiculous I know. But, usually when I say something like this, I HAVE actually thought it as a concern, but I will SAY it out loud just to get a reaction from my husband and maybe make him smile. So that is what I did... "Sure glad I didn't get bitten by a rattle snake just now!!" with a little drama in my expression... ok maybe a lot. He just laughed, shook his head and said, "Are you your mother's daughter or what?!?!"

Until he said that I hadn't thought about it, but it is so true! I am just like my mother in that way. Or maybe it's a girl thing... no... I think it is just a mother/daughter thing:-). BUT... a little paranoia never hurt anyone, right? AND... it is people like us that keep the world a safe place... right Mom?!?!:-) AND... I was just trying to make him laugh... mostly:-).

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Relax Gloria! J/K. It's scary how little control we have over becoming our parents! You might as well embrace it because fighting it is useless.

Lauri said...

You crack me up, Kim! :) I am my mother too! Well, she's more layed back then me now, but I'm sure she wasn't always. haha.
I love reading your blog! I enjoyed the love at home post. Such a good thing to remember! I can use the reminder b/c sometimes I tend to over-react to things, which doesn't create a lot of peace. haha.

Kim said...

I am NOT trying to fight it!!! I love seeing Mom in me when I look at pictures! She is a pretty woman:-)! And also I don't even try to not think of the worst possible scenario because I have to keep my kids safe, so I am glad I inherited this trait:-).

Howard said...

Yeah, its like that saying about paranoia. You only have to be right once to make it all worthwhile.

Kathy said...

Kimmie, have you thought of this? You are like Grandma Gantner too!!
I love your blog. It makes me laugh and causes me to reflect on all the really important things in life-most of all what a blessing all of our children are.
Ethan and Ava are so lucky to have such fantastic parents.

Kim said...

Good!! Grandma Gantner is hilarious! I don't think I am smart enough to be that funny though:-)!

Suzy said...

I'm equally crazy. One time we went camping in White Sands and I was pretty sure there was a mass murderer out to get us. How easy would it be to kill a bunch of people in the desert in the middle of the night, right? He was going to slash through our tents with a knife, then stab us. Going from campground to campground... Then the next day the visitors were going to find blood stained dunes when they started their adventures.
Anyhow, your mom is awesome, so you're lucky to be like her. :)