Monday, October 20, 2008

Love At Home

I had to play my violin in church yesterday for the musical number. As I started playing I was thinking, "Oh!! Can't you just get that note a little higher?!?! Oooo... don't scratch! Ok, delicate, remember???" etc, etc. Then I remembered, "I am not giving a performance today!!! I am supposed to be bringing the Holy Spirit to this meeting and using this piece to worship God." So I started thinking about what it was I was playing, a hymn called Love at Home.

The opening words are, "There is beauty all around when there's love at home." I thought about our home. We are having a bit of a struggle with our Bub right now. He is a good boy, and smart, but he is pretty far behind in some areas of his development. He doesn't talk much and screams a lot to communicate, as well as sign. He can be pretty wild and a bit stubborn... ok a lot stubborn. It is a struggle to get him to do/not do anything. I know this might sound like any two-year-old you may come in contact with, but those associated with him have noticed a difference between him and other kids his age. He is the only two-year-old we really know, but when we are with some of his friends, it is clear to us as well that there is something different. We have been working with the Children's Learning Center in town and are trying to find out what we can do to help him and if it is just that he is slow in his development or if it is something more. Although he may be just fine and this might be just a stage he is going through, I confess it is on my mind constantly.

As I was playing and thinking about the words to the hymn and our own family, I could hear the Bub screaming in the hall. -We had started church inside the chapel, but soon ended up in the foyer because of screaming. It is hard on the Bub when I leave (as I was going to have to to play), so we just stayed out there for the entire meeting.- As I thought, I thought of how grateful I am for that little boy and how much I love him. That is one thing in our home that is constant; we may look flustered and tired and a little beside ourselves and our kids may be screaming and crying and throwing things around (including themselves), but we love them. And we will continue to love them, no matter what. And truly... "there is beauty all around when there's love at home."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, the joy of children. They are absolutely wonderful but totally crazy too. My oldest has a little bit too much energy. Lately I've been trying to figure out what other sugars I can try to get rid of in her diet like potatoes or something but you know, I don't think it would make a difference. She'd still be crazy. My girls are the one running in circles in the back of the gym with occasional screams of delights and screaming. We are working on it. Thanks for your thoughts though. It is definitely fun to read your blog and nice to know you have the same problems as me. I love that you refuse to feel guilty about your kids screaming in church. That's fantastic.

Caren said...

Oh, Kim, I think you are good to share this. I'm sure it will help some others who have gone through it. I don't think Ethan is, but I think Ava must be missing me and my rocking! It was good to see the gentle Ethan on the floor with her. I hope you will soon be able to figure out a way for calming the Bub. It will make things easier for all of you. He really is a handsome little guy!