Monday, October 6, 2008

Too Serious

I think I tend to take myself and life a little too seriously. Let me give you an example:

When I was in 1st or 3rd grade (can't remember), one of my friends from school came with me to church. A couple weeks after that she came to me and said, "Your church is fun! Can I come again?" I thought about it and said, "You know, church isn't supposed to be fun." ... And that statement pretty much sums up my life.

Why I thought it wasn't supposed to be fun I am not sure. I think in my mind "fun" meant irreverence and that was bad. But in reality, life IS supposed to be fun. Or at least we are supposed to be happy.

Now, of course, I wish I had never said those words to her because she was a girl just looking for a friend. At least I can now look back and learn from it. And although there are somethings we should take seriously, the majority of the time I could lighten up a bit... just ask my husband:).

I am a mother. When my second child was born I found that I was spending all of my time irritated at my 2 year old because of his miss-behavior. I was overwhelmed by the things that needed to be done; cooking, cleaning, entertaining a 2 year old, and taking care of a new born ... not to mention taking care of myself.

After a couple months I felt like I was getting better at it, but was still having a hard time. I felt like an emotional roller coaster that was out of control. One day while taking a shower, I was feeling sorry for myself and asked Heavenly Father, "How am I supposed to do this?!?!" The answer came right away: "Kim, you are trying to do this by yourself." That was the answer; I needed to rely on the Lord (which I knew, I just wasn't doing), but also those around me. That is not easy for most of us to do. We like to serve, but not to BE served so much.

Just receiving this answer made me feel better. I started to relax and look at my children as they should be regarded; as gifts from God. I let those that offered to help me help and our friendship was strengthened. And the more I relaxed and was happy, remarkably, the more I got done! And THAT made everyone happy.

Then I heard a talk by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, an apostle for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He talked about something his mother told him once when his football team lost a game. She said, "Come what may, and love it." He talked about the positive effects laughter can have in life. I thought, "That is it! I need to laugh more and not take things so seriously!" Learning to laugh at myself and difficult times is hard. But when I can do it, life is sooooo much better!

There is a community of bloggers that are amazing women-those I know and those I don't personally know-whom I have come across that have taught me so much, just from their life experiences and their attitudes about life. I do not feel like I have much to offer those who read this blog, but at times I think it is just nice to know you are not the only one going through some of life's challenges. Mostly this blog is for me (blogging, I find, is almost therapeutic!)-to help me learn to laugh at myself and the things life throws at me, and then to learn from these experiences. To make every day part of "the good times."

1 comment:

Caren said...

Meredith made a tile for us that reads, "In all of living have much joy and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." Gordon B. Hinckley Good thing for all of us to remember. There are a lot of days that don't seem funny. You do live with one of the world's great entertainers. I do know though, that he is better when he has a good audience. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.